Long Lasting Dodges
Motorcade Club History
Travelcade Club History
Motorcade Club History
The Motorcade Club history is closely tied to the founding of Foretravel and Travco.
The Fore family's tradition for travel begain in 1876 when C. M. Fore's grandparents first traveled from the East and settled in Nacogdoches. This tradition of travel was carried on by C. M.'s father and then C. M., as the family took numerious vacations. As the family grew requirements for a suitable vehicle changed.
In 1967, the Foretravel Motorhome was born from son Ray's Distributive Education project. C. M. and Ray worked together and built a 21 foot Class "A" on a Dodge chassis.
The interterest in this motorhome as they traveled on their first trip to Washington state led them to decide to build another, and then another, and soon the Foretravel was born.
About the same time around 1958, Frank Motors of Peck, Michigan started building a motorhome. A Dodge truck chassis was redesigned for this motorhome and it became known as a Dodge motorhome.
After many problems the Franks had to shut down and Peter Fink bought the rights to the motorhome and the Travco Corporation was born.
It was under Mr. Finks supervision that the Motorcade Club was born.
Gib and Mabel Stadler were chosen to organize the club. They had traveled with Airstream's Wally Byam Club and later organized and directed the Avion Travelcade Club. The Stadtlers brought a wealth of knowledge to the club.
In July 1965 a full scale travel progranmbegan.
This is the general format of today's Motorcade Club.
After many good years Peter Fink shut down the company and an auctioned off the inventory.
At this auction C. M. bought the right to build the Travco Motorhome. The Motorcade Club and the membership list came with it.
Foretravel started building the Travco motorhome and also keep the Motorcade staff and agreed to contune all the activities.
Max and Pat Todd were retained to organize and oversee a club for Foretravel owners. It was named Foretravel Travelers. This was to give equal programs to everyone.
About 272 motorhome attened the Travco Convention in Yuma, AZ, when the first Foretravel Travco was shown.
An emergency meeting of the Travco Board of Directors was called prior to the 1981 winter Convention in Okechobee Florida, at which time C. M. Fore presented the request that the two Foretravel clubs be consolidated and the group be called The Foretravel Motorcade Club.
C. M. announced that Foretravel had chosen Warren and Arlie MacKenzie #2335 as Corporate Club Managers to merge and run the club.
This was approved by the board and then annouced to the Comvention.
You could say that this was the begining of the Foretravel Motorcade Club as we know it today.
The Travco motorhome was an aerodynamic Class A RV built on a Dodge school bus chassis from 1958 to 1980. The design was revolutionary due to its shape and fiberglass-over-steel construction, thus eliminating paint jobs and dry rot. It was sold as the Frank Motor Home from 1958 to 1963 until the company went bankrupt. Two investors bought the RV body molds and the patent rights, and opened up Travco Corporation a short time after.
In 1964, Travco Corporation (contraction of Travelers Company) took control, the windows were enlarged and various other cosmetic modifications were added. The design changed very little from 1964 to 1980 except for a choice of grille designs that hurt the look of the well-designed RV. Three sizes were offered; the 21-foot 210, the 27-foot 270, and the 32-foot 320. Out of the three, the 270 was the best seller, and the best selling color in the 1960s was white with a red band running lengthwise around the center. The popular colors in the 1970s were any shade of earth tone with or without a two-tone. Eventually, the "Atomic Age" design failed to impress most buyers, despite the more modern-looking grille introduced in the mid-1970s. When Dodge stopped producing the 440ci big-block V8, that was the end of Travco. However, the body shells were used by a luxury-RV maker called Foretravel until around 1990. Currently, Travco is owned by the business mogul Travis Nicholson.
The Travco 270 came standard with twin swivel chairs under a crank-out bunk bed, a dinette table was located across the way, with cabinets above, and the kitchen was fully equipped with not only the expected four-burner range/oven, double-door refrigerator and double sink, but some even came with built-in toasters and coffee pots. The bathroom was large, and it was fully equipped with marine toilet, sink, and shower. A large closet was across from that. A tiny bedroom with a queen-sized bed, a mirror, and numerous storage areas occupied the rear end of the motorhome.