I know this is not Travco, but it is still a Dodge chassis. I have found some great information on this Travco site and I have been able to find some very hard to locate brake parts with the information posted on here. I want to thank you and everyone who has posted this information to help others find parts, and to those who rescue and drive these oldies. I hope my pictures and story of The Hooch is helpful to some out there.
We bought this 1973 Superior 2200 in 2014 to travel from Florida to Maine from a couple (2nd owners) who have had it in their family since 1985. They kept it parked in an airplane hanger when not in use, so the body and body components are in good shape and does not require to much work other than touch up. One windshield needs to be replaced and luckily a spare was included in the purchase. We did replace the toilet, sewage valve and bathroom vent fan. We have to rebuild and replace so much of the chassis parts just because allot of the parts were original or just plain USED.
We have rewired, modified, rebuilt and or replaced most of the drive train and chassis parts. This Hooch will be on the road very soon, God willing! Thank you all very much for the much needed help and keeping these beautiful rides on the road!
1973 Superior 2200 on a Dodge RM350 chassis, 440 engine with a Carter Quadrajet 750 carburetor, 727 Torqueflite transmission automatic 3 speed, rear axle 4.56 gear ratio. Rebuild of entire chassis started in December 2014. I tried to keep as much of original parts and pieces as we could.
We finally were able to take the front end apart to get to the motor.
We are ready to pull the the 727 Torqueflite transmission.
75% of chassis electrical had to be rewired and rerouted. All cables were fraid and binding.
Modifying the fuel tank selector and filter design to be out of the way and easy to change.
I’m in my prairie dog hole.
Crank shaft being turned and 440 motor bored 30 over and cleaned by Kevin and his crew at Deland Auto Parts. They turned the rotors for me. Now we have good brakes to stop this hooch. They put the crankshaft in the 440 block.
Here they honed the block and they are putting the pieces back on the motor.
Here are the gauges I felt were missing, so I added them to the motorhome.
This is a (Low coolant alarm and light) I added under the dash and then ran an external light that you can see.
I rewired and repaired most of the ignition and added the gauges.
The entire brake system needed to be replaced. Master cylinder, calipers, lines, hydrovacs, shoes and pads, springs and anything else related to stopping.
More brake related pictures
The universal joints, pinon seal and pumpkin gasket were replaced. If you haven’t noticed the bottom of the coach has been repainted a light color so you can see eaiser and the chassis was cleaned and painted the best I could anyways.