Shaggy Needs Love
On July Fourth, I drove Shaggy to a fireworks display way out in the country. The trip required seven miles of really rough road. I also had to drive that seven miles on back. When we finally got to smooth road, I noticed that my brake pedal was going down way too far.
We stopped at a gas station to get some brake fluid. I noticed that there was something hanging down behind the drivers seat. My battery box had finally rusted all the way out. I must admit that since I have been working on my 320, Shaggy has been neglected. The brake problem turned out to be a brake line on the upper wheel cylinder on the right rear. I had bent it too much when I did the brakes several years ago. It finally cracked. If you own a Travco of this vintage, you will know that there is not a lot of room to get to the brake lines because they are so close to the springs. I removed the backing plates when I rebuilt the brakes. I got some help installing the new brake line. It sure went easier with one person on the front and another person on the rear of the wheel when installing the new brake line.
The next thing, I had to do was fix that rusted out battery box.
The battery box just fell out. The battery cables held the battery in place. I used some bungee cords to hold it in place on the way home. I must admit, if I was performing the routine maintenance like I should, I would have found the problem before I took Shaggy down that rough road. This was also the first time I traveled without a toolbox. If I had some tools, I would have removed the battery for the ride home.
I started the repair process by removing all of the rusted parts.
The box is removed. The preparation is started.
Luckily, The shelves are still in good shape. I clean them up for a new shelf.
Welding in additional support.
A little paint and some additional angle to install the door.
I install my battery. I also put the brake breather in there. I did that when I restored Shaggy to get the filter out of the inside of the coach.
It took three weeks because of the heat and my laziness. It sure does look a lot better.